Craving for some angel food cake but you’d rather steer away from those extra calories? There’s an easy medium you can resort to: angel food cake specially designed for Weight Watchers! Here are the steps to follow so you can enjoy the sweets without the guilt:
- Prepare your ingredients. You will need the following: a fat-free angel food cake (such as Betty Crocker Fat-Free Angel Food Cake Mix and Duncan Hines Fat-Free Mix); and a 20-ounce can of pineapple, crushed. Make sure that you choose pineapple that’s not immersed in syrup, but one with water or natural pineapple juice. Remember that pineapple syrup is loaded with sugar – nope, not good at all.
- Preheat the oven. Crank it up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, or 175 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the pineapple with the angel food cake mix. Pour both ingredients in a large bowl and mix them very thoroughly. Don’t just put in the pineapple, but the water/ juice as well (however, don’t add any more water in). You will know that you’ve done your mixing successfully when you see foam forming, and you can see that the whole mixture is well-moistened. For easier and more thorough mixing, you may want to use an electric mixer.
- Pour the mixture into a rectangular 9×13 inch pan. To make this step easier, use a spatula to dig out your mixture and transfer it to the pan. Make sure that you leave the pan ungreased.
- Put the mixture in the oven. It will take 35 minutes for the pineapple angel food cake to be ready; you know it’s all set when it acquires a golden brown color. You could also do the toothpick test: once it’s been 35 minutes in the oven, take out the cake and stick a toothpick onto its topmost middle part. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Serve the pineapple angel food cake. Wait for the cake to cool (about 10 minutes). To add more flavor and décor to your cake, you may top it with low-fat or fat-free whipped topping and/ or coconut flakes. You may also garnish it with fresh fruit such as cherries, sliced bananas or strawberries, or grapes. That’s healthy garnish at its finest!
There you have it! These are the steps for making absolutely divine – and guiltless – angel food cake. And the best thing is, this is absolutely easy to make!
It is essential, however, that you pick the right angel food cake mix that’s the best (according to your taste), as well as the canned pineapple too. These two ingredients are where the cake’s success hinges upon. You may want to experiment on using canned pineapple immersed in water, and on another day, one that’s immersed in juice. There will be subtle differences in the taste of the cake that you create.
Feel free to experiment also on the kind of garnishing that you serve it with, or you may even want to use different canned fruits (such as blueberry, lemon or cherry) instead of pineapple. Of course, always remember to go for low-calorie!