Hermes is a French luxury brand known for its popular handbag designs. In recent years, the Hermes Birkin bag and the Kelly bag have become the “It” bag of many Hollywood celebrities. Owning an Hermes bag has become a status symbol because of its exorbitant price and the aura of exclusivity. It is also an investment since the bags maintain their value and have an excellent resale value over time.
If you are ready to make a purchase at Hermes, here’s how to buy one.
- Familiarize yourself with the different designs. Birkin and Kelly styles are extremely popular, but there are other styles as well. Consider Jypsiere, Garden, Picotin Look and Victoria. You can find these designs in popular fashion magazines, or at ads in high end magazines.
- Decide what material you want. Leather is always timeless and durable, but Hermes also makes bags and purses in canvas and silk. The silk bags come in more colorful prints and designs in you want a more fun and yet affordable bag.
- Assess how you will use the Hermes bag. If this will be your every day bag, then you will want to get a big enough bag that will fit your makeup, wallet, iPod, keys and any other items you carry with you on a daily basis. Some women prefer to hold their bags so opt for a clutch style such as the Jige Clutch. If you want to use the bag to carry files, then choose a flat messenger type design. If you will use it for evening, then you’ll want to find something that looks formal and is smaller.
- Choose a size. The bigger the bag, the more expensive it will be. Hermes makes a collapsible silk bag, the Silkypop, which is another great option.
- Be prepared to spend serious money. The cheapest Hermes bag retails for about $1,000 and average at about $3,000 to $5,000. Some styles can go much higher, depending on the edition and detailing of the bag. Some Birkin bags even sell for well over $150,000, such as one studded with Swarovski crystals. However, keep in mind that the price of the bag makes its ownership even more select and gives it more value in the long run. Consider the purchase a monetary investment, as well as an investment in fashion.
- Buy only from reputable retailers. Go to an Hermes boutique to purchase an Hermes bag. Even high end department stores do not carry Hermes. If you buy online, it’s best to make the purchase directly from the Hermes website. If you plan on buying from EBay or other online retailers, beware that you may not be getting an authentic item.
- Try vintage stores. You may get lucky and find a classic piece. It’s rare but it’s worth a try.
- Be prepared to wait. There is a waiting list for some popular styles. Each Hermes bag is hand made and may take a couple of days to complete. However, because of the volume of women who want the bags, the waiting period can take as long as six months to two years.
Once you have your bag, you’ll realize why hundreds of women the world over vie to have this piece of art. Take care of your bag properly and you’ll be able to enjoy for several years to come.