Clean and Maintain Your Bicycle Chain on the Cheap
As they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat. The same adage applies to cleaning and maintaining your bicycle's chain. You could either buy those expensive cleaning kits or you could use some easy-to-find and cheap materials, which deliver almost the same result at a quarter of the price. First, get all the necessary tools for the job of cleaning and maintaining your bicycle chain:
- An old baby bottle brush
- A bucket
- Liquid soap
- Olive oil
- Gloves (optional)
- A clean rag
Now, be sure to get into some comfortable gear that you won't mind getting a little greasy. Follow these steps below to clean your bicycle chain:
- Mix water and the liquid soap. Mix water and a dab of liquid soap together well…..but don't make the mix too bubbly.
- Try to get the chain wet with the water and soap solution. Wait for a few minutes for the soap to break down the grime accumulated on your chain.
- Start scrubbing the chain using the old baby bottle brush. The bristles are long enough to reach across the chain links so this type of brush is better than a toothbrush.
- Wash with water. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you get the bicycle chain nice and clean.
- Dab the chain with the rag. Let the chain air dry.
- After the chain has dried, get the olive oil and toothpick, and use the toothpick to drop oil on each chain link. Try not to miss any of the links.
- After lubing all of the links, use the rag to wipe excess oil off the chains.
Now admire your nice and clean chain. Happy cycling!