A web page template makes the task of building a website fairly fast and easy. The web page template is like the blue print of an architect where each architectural design is drawn before applying them in actual buildings. It does not only help the web page designer lay out his plans for the website but also makes the job of maintaining it very easy.
What is a web page template? A web page template is created using Hypertext Mark-up Language (HTML) code, the predominant language of the internet. These codes control everything that you can see in the web page like colors, boxes, text, and animations. Since knowledge of HTML code is needed in creating web pages, learn the necessary HTML language first before proceeding to creating a web page template. It is a simple language and you can start creating without too much specialist knowledge.
Here are the steps you need to do to create a web page template:
- Study about creating HTML tables. This will help you in creating columns for your web page.
- Become familiar with HTML color codes. The colors that you choose for your web page can greatly make or break it. Your colors should be as simple and as eye-friendly as possible. Coordinate your web page colors and create a professional look to your viewers.
- Prepare images and logos to place in your web page. Create graphics using Adobe Photoshop software in an 800 x 400 pixel canvas. Remember to save your graphics using the Save To Web feature so that you will have optimized GIF files for your web page.
- Configure your page width. Set your monitor resolutions to a width of 1024 pixels wide instead of the old fashioned 800 by 600 pixels wide setting. It is recommended for your web page to have a fixed width setting so you will not have a hard time in future should you use CSS codes.
- Know the basics parts of the template diagram. Your web page contents should be broken into different tables to have it load faster. Since the page is made up of different tables, a template diagram will help you have a better picture of what your web page should look like. Basically, your template diagram should have tables having the heading, the body and navigation controls, optional navigation tools, and footer. You can refer to other web pages on how these tables are set up. Just choose a template diagram that will suit your needs.
- Create sample pages first. Do not settle on just one template. Create around five rough drafts so you can choose the best. Consider the layout of your template. Are they user-friendly? Do the colors complement with each other? Make sure that the tables do not overlap and page loading time does not take too long to irritate your visitors. Once you like what you see, you can move on to creating the content and other essentials for your web page.
Creating a web page template is easier now than it was in the past. With dozens of free HTML tutorials online, you will be on your way to creating your own web page in no time.