For those who are in the teaching profession, it is important that your lesson plans contains a detailed process (complete with examples), and of course, customized according to the topics you will discuss. The writing process involved in creating a lesson plan can be tedious for a first timer, but exciting for the seasoned educator. If you’re taking courses in education, they’ll cover lesson plan writing — if not, you can enroll in some online classes to help you get the process down.
The following is the standard lesson plan format:
- Controlled practice
- Free practice
Now, to create a lesson plan specifically for an English writing class, here are details and tips on how you can customize your approach whether you are teaching English grammar or business English:
- For your students to focus and be prepared for your class, your Warm-up should be a simple activity that may not be all too technical. But instead of using something generic or general, you can start off or make the theme something that can easily flow into the main topic/s for the day. A simple question and answer or short narration can get the class ready for the meat of your discussion. Another purpose of the warm-up is to give something that is a ‘sneak peek’ of the upcoming lesson.
- The presentation can either be your lecture, a student presentation or a video presentation about the main topic. Focus on the presentation at this point for the next several minutes of your class.
- The controlled practice is your student’s practice guided by you. They will practice, but at the same time, you are giving them on-the-spot feedback about their output. If you think the topic may be a little bit advanced for the class, allot a few minutes for their controlled practice so they will not feel rushed.
- The free practice is where they apply the lessons for the day in any form they can. You can give them written work or small group discussions where they can show their ‘application’ of the topic – as they can freely use it in their free-flow speech.
- Feedback is the part where the students can move from ‘application’ to ‘mastery’ of the topic at hand. They are allowed to check their work on their own and make the necessary corrections. This is also a chance for you to guide them with some final notes and reminders about the current topic.
There is also grammar software that is available, which you can use to infuse modern technology into your English class. WhiteSmoke offers different grammar software options that run grammar checks, spelling checks, and style enhancement features depending on the need, whether Creative Writing or Bio-Tech Writing, and they are loaded with the specific vocabulary for you to check out.
Teaching any language class is very dynamic, as it involves a lot of spontaneity from your students. This lesson plan guide can help you create an effective and efficient lesson plan whether this is for a short course, crash course, or in an ongoing academic setting. Online education courses can help you develop other teaching techniques.
Communications skills are very important in one’s personal and professional life, and your guidance of these students in their communication skills may very well be the foundation of their success in life.