Chalk boards are surfaces on which children or teachers write, using a chalk. Chalk boards are usually seen in schools and other learning institutions. They can also be seen in commercial establishments, such as restaurants and cafés. These boards contain the menu of the restaurant or messages to entice the customers to buy from the store. Other times, they are used at home when children are studying or in kitchens to write messages. Having a plain chalk board may be boring. You may want to add designs to customize your chalk board.
Here are some of the things you can do to customize your chalk board:
- Color. Most chalk boards come in the color black or dark green. You can opt to change the color of your chalk board by painting over it with liquid chalk board paint. You can make your own chalk board paint using the colors that you like. All you have to do is to mix one cup of paint with 2 tablespoons of powdered tile grout. Paint this over your chalk board and let it dry.
- Bulletin boards. Another way to customize your chalk board is by attaching a bulletin board to it. This will add to the purpose of your chalk board. You can attach small notes, memos, reminders or pictures on the bulletin board. Stick tacks on the bulletin board so that anyone can pin up messages for each other. Chalk boards with bulletin boards can be used in the kitchen so you can post a grocery list or important reminders for your family.
- Colored chalk. To make your chalk board more interesting, you can easily purchase a box of colored chalk so that you can use different colors when writing on the chalk board. It would also be better if you purchase dustless chalk so that there won’t be as much chalk residue floating about when you write.
- Frame. You can improve the look of your chalk board by making a frame for it. You can draw on the main board with chalk or you can also use permanent paint to decorate on the frame of the chalk board or on the chalk board itself. This will be a great way for you to customize your chalk board with art.
- Accessories. You can add accessories to your chalk board which will make it more functional. An example is by adding a chalk holder or a holder for the eraser. You can simply use a tin can or a used container and attach that to the side of the frame.
These are some of the things you can do to customize your own chalk board. If you want, you can purchase glitters and foam letters that you can stick on the frame of your chalk board. If you have children who are going to use the chalk board, it would be nice if you put educational posters beside the chalk board to make learning more fun and interesting for your child.