Sleep techniques, such as progressive relaxation and deep breathing, can help relax your mind and body enough so that you can drift into sleep. In fact, there are far more effective and natural ways to deal with insomnia than your average sleeping pill. However, today I will explain a simple and basic sleep technique that you will be able to follow with ease.
It’s simply impossible to will the mind and body to sleep as you may have already tried. By focusing on merely relaxing the body and mind, you can gear yourself for sleep. When the conscious mind drifts and the sub-conscious takes over, you are in a prime state for sleep. This exercise will help you do just that.
- Once you’re ready to sleep, ensure that your bed and bedroom are dark, comfortable and not too warm. It’s best to lie on your back for this. So get yourself in a comfortable position and close your eyes.
- Now begin to breathe deeply and slowly. Listen to each slow inhale and exhale. On each exhale, feel your body sinking down into the bed. Feel your body heavy and tired. Continue this until you feel relaxed from head to toe.
- Now it’s time to begin with some affirmations. Imagine a calm and soothing voice and tell yourself, ‘You feel sleepy and tired. You will sleep better and better every night.’ Feel free to adapt and change the affirmations. Just ensure that you use positive language.
- Now continuing with your deep, slow breathing, begin to count up on each exhale. Working from your head to your toes, relax a part of your body on each exhale. Imagine and feel your body heavy and sinking deeper into the bed. Continue this until you reach your toes.
- You may find that you lose track when counting. This is a good sign that you’re drifting, if this happens, don’t worry exactly where you were, just continue roughly where you left off. If at the end, you are still awake, don’t panic! You can’t expect miracle cures. This is just a simple sleep technique that helps your conscious mind drift and your subconscious to take over using your imagination.