Being able to install roofing on your own can help to save money while increasing efficiency. The entire process of installing roofing can basically be achieved in five fundamental steps.
- The first step is to lay a level surface for the nailing. The surface is generally made of plywood. It is extremely important to maintain the level as any irregularity can lead to an uneven roof.
- The next step of the roofing process involves ensuring that the ventilation system is adequate. As the roof covers the top of the house, and directly lies over the attic, the levels of ventilation are an important point to take into consideration. The basic purpose of the roof is to act as a sort of insulation shield, preventing the moisture from outside to get into the house, and also preventing the moisture and warmth generated inside the house from escaping into the outside atmosphere. To allow for optimal functioning, adequate levels of ventilation need to be maintained. Half of the vents should be built bordering the ridges or the peaks. The remaining half can be built near the eaves of the roof. The vents from the bathrooms and the kitchen should be able to transport the exhaust materials from inside the house to the outside.
- Next comes nailing down the panels and placing them correctly. While placing the panels, it is important to remember that changes in climatic conditions often cause wood to expand and contract. Thus, there should be enough space in between of the panels to allow for measurement alterations. The panels should not be fixed too close to one another.
- Install the felt layer to guard the sheathing. The surface needs to be cleaned properly. A shingle felt layer has to be installed in order to safeguard the roof panels from damages caused by various natural elements such as wind and rain. The shingles should be attached only after the felt has been completely flattened and is attached as evenly as is possible. This is important as it helps to ensure that there are no bumps which cause any uneven laying of the shingles.
- Lastly, install the shingles. This has to be done in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturing company. It is advised that the shingles be attached after some time so that the sheathing has completely adapted to the weather conditions.