Acupuncture has been part of Chinese medicine since the ancient times. Actually, no one can give the exact date of acupuncture’s discovery, but what is important now is the enormous popularity and effectiveness that this type of medicine has given to many people. Acupuncture is also one of the most unique ways of treating illnesses — through the use of needles. Your skin will be lightly punctured with a needle so that the energy or chi in your body is allowed to move freely, resulting in better health. This means that the effectiveness of acupuncture relies on locating the proper acupuncture points.
If you want to learn how to be relieved using acupuncture, studying how to locate the right acupuncture points for each meridian in the body is a must. Here are some of the ways for you to do this.
1. Learn the basic principles of acupuncture. Locating the proper acupuncture meridians will never be easy if you have no idea what acupuncture is and on what types of diseases and illnesses it is suited for. Searching through the Web will lead you to special websites dedicated to promoting acupuncture and informing people about this type of alternative medicine. An example of a site you can visit is Acupuncture.com.
2. Learn where the 12 acupuncture meridians are. Every person has his own different acupuncture points but knowing the meridians will help you locate the exact point. There may be different acupuncture points, but all are located in the meridians found in the triple warmer, spleen, stomach, gall bladder, bladder, liver, kidney, large intestine, small intestine, pericardium, lung, and the heart meridians. Here are some common meridian locations to give you an idea:
- The stomach meridian can be found on the front side of the leg, just below the knees. This point is said to be beneficial for treating digestive disorders, vomiting, nausea, bellyache, and abdominal distention. There is even a new study revealing that this same point can be used to treat fatigue, immune system deficiency diseases, and anemia.
- The heart meridian can be found on the outer side of your wrist. This acupuncture point is said to be effective in treating absent-mindedness, insomnia, hysteria, agitation, mental illness, depression, disturbing dreams, and other mental disorders. It is helpful for treating fatigue and heart diseases as well.
You can learn more about the various acupuncture points by getting a copy of the acupuncture diagram. You can also use video sharing sites such as YouTube and VideoJug to find instructional videos that will help you in locating the meridians and acupuncture points.
3. Try locating the points in your body. With the video or the text as your guide, practice locating the acupuncture points in your own body. The points are usually marked by a small and strange skin depression. These points also have a skin temperature that is different from the rest of the body.
4. Read acupuncture books. Books like the “Healing Art of Acupuncture & Acupressure and “A Personal Acupuncture Handbook” are just some of the resources you can use to learn how to locate the proper acupuncture points.
Always remember that safety and hygiene should be practiced when it comes to acupuncture therapy, and should begin as early as when you stick the first acupuncture needle in your own body as a way of practicing the skills in acupuncture.