Apples are sweet and delicious fruit snack. It is also loaded with antioxidants and pectin, which has been shown to fight various types of cancer. Its perfect balance of crunch, sweet and tart flavor make it a very popular snack. When cooked, its delicious flavor makes it a great dessert. Great either eaten fresh or baked, apples make a wonderful treat.
If you want some ideas on how to make an easy, quick and low calorie apple dessert, read on! When cooking with apples, choose apples that are fresh and at the peak of its flavor. Most recipes require that you core the apple and peel the skin.
- Eat it raw. The best way to enjoy apples is to eat it fresh. Choose Granny Smith, Red Delicious, Pink Lady or Washington apples. This way, you don’t lose any of the fiber, nutrients and the pectin of the apple. As much as possible, eat the skin of the apple because this is where most of the cancer fighting nutrients is found. If you want to dip your fresh crisp apples into something, have a small serving bowl of cottage cheese.
- Make an instant apple crumble. Get two large apples and core, peel and slice it. Place the sliced apples in a glass bowl and sprinkle a teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Microwave on high for three to six minutes, depending on the power of your microwave. You want to heat the apples until it is tender. Remove and give it a good stir. In a separate bowl, crush three graham crackers and mix with a tablespoon of brown sugar. Sprinkle the graham and sugar mixture on top of the cooked apples. Serve warm.
- Use ready made crust. If you want a more traditional apple pie, go ahead and bake one. However, make it more convenient by purchasing a frozen crust so that you only have to cook the apples and bake it. Check out the bakery section or frozen food section of your supermarket and see if they sell readymade phyllo dough. If so, you can also make apple phyllo dessert.
- Use Splenda in the recipe. If you’re conscious about calories, substitute Splenda for the sugar in the recipe. This sugar substitute has zero calories but has all the sweetness of sugar. Use your favorite apple dessert recipe and simply use the same amount of Splenda that you would for sugar. If the recipe calls for one cup sugar, use once cup Splenda instead.
- Serve with yogurt. Core, peel and slice some apples. Arrange in a bowl. Next, place a scoop of low fat vanilla yogurt on top of the sliced apples. Sprinkle some cinnamon and add a drizzle of caramel sauce. If you don’t have caramel sauce, you can also use honey.
The next time you are craving for something sweet, why not make an apple dessert? It’s packed with vitamins, fiber and all the good stuff you body needs. At the same time, it’s high in the flavor department and is sure to satisfy any sweet cravings.