Applesauce is very easy to make. It’s much tastier than the store-bought version, and is free from preservatives, too! You can even double or triple the recipe, if you wish to make a large batch of applesauce. Here’s how to make your own homemade applesauce:
- Purchase your ingredients. To make about 3 cups of applesauce you’ll need 5 large apples, a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. You can also add nutmeg or other spices, to taste. You can make applesauce from nearly any variety of apples, but the variety you choose will affect the taste. Pay attention to whether you are choosing tart or sweet varieties of apples. Many people find that the best taste comes from a mixture of several different types of apples. You’ll also need a microwavable glass bowl with a lid, or a saucepan.
- Prepare the apples. Each apple should be peeled and cored. Make sure that there are no seeds. Then, chop into quarters or eighths. Your slices do not need to be perfect, since you will be cooking the apples down into applesauce.
- Cook and mash. First, add cinnamon and brown sugar to your apples. You can either microwave your applesauce, or simmer it in a saucepan. Now, either add 1/4 cup of water (you can substitute apple cider, if you like) and simmer on low until the apples are tender. Do not add too much liquid, or you will end up with watery applesauce. If you wish to use a microwave instead, cook your apples in the microwave for about 10 minutes. Then remove them, and mash them to help them turn into applesauce. You can use a potato masher, but a fork works just as well.
- Continue cooking. Now, cook your applesauce some more to further break down the apples into applesauce. The length of time depends on whether you want lumps in your applesauce, or prefer it smooth. It shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes total to cook the apples into applesauce. Especially if you want smooth applesauce, mash them periodically to help them turn into sauce.
- Enjoy! That’s all there is to making applesauce. Applesauce can be served warm or chilled. It makes a great breakfast, dessert, or side dish! Try it with pork chops, or sprinkle some more cinnamon on the top. If you make a large batch, you can freeze it in containers or freezer bags. It will also keep in the refrigerator for about a week.
Once you try the homemade version, you’ll never buy applesauce at the store again! Homemade applesauce has much better flavor than what you can find at the store. It’s easy to make, and you can adjust the ingredients to suit your taste. Applesauce is hard to ruin, making it a perfect homemade snack!