This light, crisp batter can be used to coat onion rings, stemmed green beans, green pepper rings or other vegetables.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 ounces beer
- 3 egg whites, beaten until soft peaks form
- 1 pint oil
- In bowl, combine flour, salt and beer. Mix well (it should be fairly firm).
- Stir in beaten egg whites a small amount at a time, folding lightly but thoroughly to combine.
- In a deep pan or wok, heat oil (enough to cover vegetables) to 375 F degrees.
- Dip vegetables into the batter one at a time, then drop into oil until puffed and golden.
- Store any extra batter in the refrigerator, covered, for 2-3 days.