Aromatherapy has been practiced for many years but has lately been back in rage, thanks to an increased awareness of the benefits of using herbs, flowers and other plant species to cure many ailments. Aromatherapy techniques are applicable in many types of situations, from simple headaches to pain relief and to mysterious ailments. Spa treatment centers thrive on aromatherapy practices and have come up with their special packages. Even some medical clinics have special doctors trained in such techniques, in case they have patients who want other alternatives.
Aromatherapy may also be applied in the comforts of your own home. You just have to know the basics of going about it. Below is a guide to help you start making your homemade aromatherapy treatments:
1. Research, research, research. Know more about the ailment you would like to cure with aromatherapy. Know your body well and take note of where you think you should concentrate in treating, relieving or improving. Also do your research on the different aromatherapy oils that may be used for the different techniques. Use the Internet or invest in an aromatherapy book to serve as your guide. List down or keep a journal of your progress about learning the technique to help you track. Do cross-referencing and comparisons of its effects.
2. Buy your oils, bottles and other paraphernalia. Purchase the aromatherapy oils you need to practice the technique. Also purchase the glass jars where you will need to store your mixtures, as well as the glass droppers to handle these. The items can be found either at health food stores, specialty stores and online stores. Make sure that all of these are stored properly in a cabinet or bin.
3. Make your aromatherapy recipes. Making use of your supplies, you can follow some of these simple aromatherapy mixtures to use when you need them, such as massages:
- Kids or Pregnant Women – Mix 4 teaspoons of any carrier oil (almond, coconut or olive) with 4 drops of essential oil
- Average Body Type, Regular Massage – Mix 4 teaspoons of any carrier oil with 10 drops of essential oil
- Heavy Set Body Type, Intense Massage – Mix 4 teaspoons of any carrier oil with 20 drops of essential oil
Always shake the bottle well after you have mixed them, and before using the mixture again.
4. You can also use the following blends for your home use:
- For alertness: You will need about 4 teaspoons of any carrier oil, mix this with 2 drops of jasmine oil, 2 drops of lemon and 2 drops of basil.
- For help with clearer lungs: You will need about 4 teaspoons of any carrier oil, mix this with 1 drop of eucalyptus oil, 2 drops of lemon, 3 drops of sandalwood.
- For curing the common cold and flu: You will need about 4 teaspoons of any carrier oil, mix this with 3 drops of orange oil, 4 drops of ginger oil and 3 drops of melissa oil.
- For relieving headache: You must have about 8 drops of any carrier oil, 2 drops of lavender oil, 10 drops of bergamot oil, 5 drops of lemon oil, 1 drop of rosemary oil.
- For helping with stress: You will need about 4 teaspoons of any carrier oil, mix this with 3 drops of lavender oil, 3 drops of lemon and 2 drops of chamomile.
5. Other homemade use. You can also make use of the oils for bathing by dropping a few amounts of oil in bath salts, shampoo and conditioner. In a spray bottle filled with rubbing alcohol, you can also drop a few oils and use this to spray the room and make it smelling pleasant and relaxing.