A food weighing scale is the best tool any sensible chef should have in his kitchen. It cuts the tedious preparation time by half, leaving you extra time to focus on perfecting your recipe. On average, the pre-cooking phase takes about thee-quarters of the total time period till you finish and serve. This is especially true in baking where the importance of a weighing scale is very much apparent. You will not achieve that soft fluffy goodness without the right measurements; and when you’re constantly just making estimates every time, it’s hard to maintain a recipe’s repeatability. Precision is another problem a good-quality kitchen scale can solve. Accurate measurements equal to faster cooking time.
When looking for a good weighing scale, remember the general types available in the market: the balance scale, the spring or mechanical scale and the digital or electronic scale.
- The balance scale works the slowest, as you will have to continually and carefully adjust the weights as you would when measuring your weight in relation to your height with a clinic weighing scale. Imagine doing that with every ingredient. It just doesn’t satisfy the efficiency factor you’re going for.
- The spring scale operates much like a bathroom scale. It is the most popular. It has a light basin on a metal support where you are to put the ingredients to be weighed. These will apply pressure to the spring, giving you the weight equivalent of the load. You will have to look closely at which spot the pointer stopped. Measurements are in kilos and grams.
- The digital scale updates in less than a second. It is the most efficient because it is able to tell you the exact measurement as you are pouring the ingredients. Though it may be the priciest, it is well worth it. Some of the designs come with a bowl you can use to directly measure and pour ingredients from. It’s the perfect companion for preparing food for your baby.
You may find other variations of these like the deli or platform scale, which is quite bigger in size. It has a greater weighing capacity and is usually found in the meat section of supermarkets.
Before you buy, you need to look for the following features that will help you a lot in your kitchen activities.
- Detachable container for easy pouring. You don’t want to be continuously pouring and repouring ingredients from one bowl to another. This is defeating the ideas of accurate measurements. Having a detachable bowl with the measuring device helps eliminate hygiene problems and the hassle of transferring food.
- Tare feature. Need to mix multiple ingredients all at once? With a tare feature, it’s goodbye subtraction. Place your container and revert the measurement to zero. Just keep adding in individual ingredients and slip it back to zero to measure only the ones you’re mixing in. No hassle whatsoever.
- Conversion ability. Your food scale should read at least two measurements. There are products now available that can read in grams, ounces, pounds and percentages. That way you won’t have to do the math yourself.
- Capacity. Assess the amount of food you’re normally using and find the one that more or less matches your usual load.
Food weighing scales are available in local grocery or appliance stores nationwide. You can also check online for manufacturers and have it sent straight to your home by postal mail. Among hundreds of suppliers, check out these ones:
There are a lot of brands and designs to choose from.