Everyone hates sit ups. Unless you have been religiously doing sit ups every day, you will find it hard to do sit ups if you want to strengthen your back and stomach muscles. Luckily, there are new ways for you try out which does not need to be as excruciatingly painful as doing sit ups. They are not necessarily newly discovered, it is just that people tend to ignore these means as being too simple or less effective than sit ups. But if you hate sit ups, then what have you got to lose? Try these simple steps now.
- Eat the right foods at the right time. Breakfast is the first meal of the day and is the main source of fuel that our body needs to function effectively for the rest of the day. It should be your biggest meal of the day, and should include more fiber-rich foods and less fatty and oily foods. Dinner on the other hand, should be your smallest meal of the day. Avoid those midnight snacks, which your body will not be able to fully burn, turning into fats. Supplement each meal with plenty of water and fruits.
- Observe proper sitting and standing posture. If you lousily seat on your chair with your stomach bulging out, how else do you expect your stomach muscles to react? Not only are you putting undue strain on your back, it’s like you are telling your stomach to extend as big as they want. So keep your head up, your shoulders back, chest out and your stomach in. You must also sleep in a comfortable bed that would keep your posture aligned. Your bed should not be too hard or too soft, as improper sleep position is one of the reasons for back complains when you wake up in the morning.
- Enroll in tae bo, yoga or belly dancing lessons. Or you can choose any other physical hobby that you might be interested in. As long as it involves a full body work out. You not only spend time doing something you love, you are also burning those calories and toning your muscles as well. Tae bo is a good whole body work out. Yoga, tai chi or other stretching exercises are good for the conditioning of your whole body. Belly dancing is especially good in exercising your stomach muscles to have a more defined look to your abs.
- Wear back protective gear. It is sometimes unavoidable for you to do some back breaking work like lifting the stack of books, or moving furniture. To support your back, and there are sportswear that provides lumbar support for such situations. This lessens possible injuries to your back such as slip disks.
- Get a full body or back massage. If you have the time and money, go to a spa and treat your worn out muscles to a relaxing and rejuvenating massage. That will surely loosen your taut muscles and it also helps to improve the circulation of your blood. You can also ask your spouse children to give you a simple back rub. There are also some massage tools for them to use.
There you have it. These are only some of the simpler and easier ways to strengthen your back and stomach muscles without doing sit ups. Try to look for more fun and innovative ways to do so to keep your body in a fit condition.