Synthetic hair extensions are a cheaper alternative to real hair extensions. Because of budget constraints, a lot of people may prefer to use the latter. Synthetic hair can look just as natural and as pretty as real hair extensions. Due to the growing demand of synthetic hair looking more real, manufacturers have also come up with quality materials that are more akin to natural hair. It may not last as long as human hair but given the proper care, it can be maintained for a long period of time. There is also a wide variety of colors to choose from to suit one’s taste, from natural colors in browns, blacks, and blondes, or for the more daring, purples, reds and greens, etc. They are also textured in various ways, from soft waves to straight hair, to curls and spirals. Because the texture of synthetic hair is unlike human hair, it is necessary to know how to properly style it.
- Synthetic hair is made from synthetic fibers that may melt when applied with heat, therefore curling irons and flatteners must not be used. Certain synthetic fibers used for the more expensive synthetic hair extension (like monofiber) can stand a certain degree of heat. It is important to know the quality of synthetic hair to be able to care for it properly.
- Always use a wide toothed comb or a wig brush to detangle synthetic hair. Regular brushes may destroy synthetic hair strands.
- Your fingers are a good way to remove those unwanted tangles and snarls too. Gently run them through your synthetic hair to smoothen them out.
- Use a conditioner, preferably those made mainly for synthetic hair to keep it looking healthy and to smoothen the strands.
- Hair sprays, gels and waxes may be used on synthetic hair but make sure to use them in small amounts as they have a tendency to weigh down hair. These products can also promote product build-ups that create lifeless hair, so please use sparingly.
- Another trick in styling synthetic hair and making it more pliable is to hold it over a pot of boiling water and allow the steam to soften the hair. This is good for either straightening or curling synthetic hair as other heating devices can damage them.
- Curlers are also a good way of styling synthetic hair. After steaming the hair and making it pliant enough, simply put on rollers for curls or to add volume to hair.
- Make sure to wash off excess spray, gel or waxes from synthetic hair after each use with a mild shampoo and conditioner to maintain its healthy look.
- Synthetic hair is a temporary alternative so its use must be discontinued when the weave no longer possesses its style and is difficult to manage.
For those adventurous enough to look different and can’t wait for their short hair to grow out or are sick and tired of bad hair days, hair extensions are the easy solution. Why not give it a try? Happy styling!