This is a fun way to make inexpensive party favors that will be sure to entertain your guests. Making these mock crackers is an great project that will be fun for the whole family, and an exciting addition to a table top party display. Everyone will enjoy popping these open and finding out what goodies are hiding inside. You can personalize them as much as you like and have a well thought out complement to your party theme.
What you will need:
- Empty toilet paper rolls -as many as you will need to accommodate all of your guests
- Cellophane tape
- Curling ribbon -make sure you have plenty on hand if you plan to use longer, curled ribbons at the ends
- Colored tissue paper -you will need at least two maybe three sheets 12" by 12" for each cracker
- Candy or trinkets (some ideas include small plastic animals or dolls, toy rings, confetti, whistles, bouncy balls, or stickers)
- Markers and stickers -these are to decorate the tissue paper on the outside of the cracker
To begin, measure out the tissue paper and cut into 12" x 12" squares. Use multiple layers for each roll to make the paper a bit more sturdy. Lay the toilet paper roll so that it’s centered along the edge of the tissue. Roll the toilet paper roll up into the tissue and tape off the outer edge.
Take two pieces of curling ribbon, long enough to tie the ends, then pinch the tissue on one end of the roll together and carefully tie it off. Now fill the other end with the candy and other small items you have selected. When you are finished filling the roll, tie the other end closed with the rest of the ribbon. If you chose to use a longer ribbon length you can curl the ribbon with scissors to make the ends pretty.
Now decorate the tissue with the markers and stickers. You can use stickers and draw designs to match the theme of your party for a festive look. This is a very fun craft, and kids will love getting involved in the process. This is a great family craft, easy on the budget, and a great way to recycle those empty toilet paper rolls. These fun mock crackers are an exciting addition to any party. They are so simple and fun to make, you’ll want to make them for every event!